top of page
Blue Skies

Changing your name after divorce

Image by Ray Hennessy

Do I have to change my name?

Many women want to revert back to their maiden name after separation or divorce. There’s no legal requirement to do so and your husband can not insist on it. The decision is entirely personal.

How do I change my name?

If you want to change your name with various institutions, you’ll have to meet their individual requirements. For example, to change your Passport you’ll need to apply directly to the Australian Passport Office. To change your bank accounts, you’ll need to contact the bank and meet their requirement.

What documents will I need?

When you do this, you may need your marriage certificate, your Australian birth certificate and if applicable, your divorce order.

Does this change my child's name?

No. Changing your own name is a completely separate issue to changing the surnames of your children.

If you and your former partner don’t agree to change your children’s names then you’ll need to make an application to the court.

What next?

There are so many things to do and think about following separation. If you think you'd benefit from a structured, step by step approach, you'll find our separation guide very useful. Take things at your own pace and review our material as many times as you need. It's presented in easy to understand terms and you'll find yourself referring to it over and over again.

bottom of page