top of page
Blue Skies

Can you divorce if married overseas?

Image by Greg Rosenke

If you were married overseas, you can still get a divorce in Australia! As with all divorces, you'll need to prove you were married, so you'll need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate. If your marriage certificate isn't in English, it will need to be translated.

2 things to remember...

1. It will need to be translated by a qualified translator; and

2. The translator will need to sign an affidavit of translation.

The National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters, or NAATI, is the national organisation which accredits interpreters and translators. When using a private translator, look for NAATI accreditation.

You can find a translator using NAATI's online directory at or phone 1300 557 470.

Just contact us via the website if need the Affidavit of Translation.

What next?

If you’re feeling uncertain about where to start and concerned about enormous legal fees, we’re here to help. Our Separation Guide will point you in the right direction. It's got numerous presentations, information and downloads to get you organised.

bottom of page